Friday, November 17, 2006

Busyness... we all have intimate knowledge of it

When is it busyness, and when is it being active and engaged? When is it finding peace and balance, and when is it sloth and idleness?

I saw a bumper sticker on the Internet: Don't believe everything you think. Really good advice for me, but as always YMMV.

I also saw a bumper sticker on a car on campus: So Mote It Be. Since that phrase comes from Freemasonry and is currently in use in dozens of Wiccan and other neo-pagan rituals, I find it interesting (to say the least...)

Finally, I was reminded today that in my youth I never expected to live past 25 (and apparently I'm not the only one with that delusion). Now I hope to see a century (but won't be too stressed if I don't :-) It's funny how time changes your perspective, but leaves the essential you unchanged. The ex-Infidel brought this to mind with his rechristening: Old Young Guy. I've often said that I don't feel any different than when I was thirteen. How does wisdom and experience factor into essence and consciousness? What changes, if anything, as we age?

5 comments:

Dying Dodo said...

I think that essentially we stay the same, at least in our own minds. Yeah, the body ages but does the mind? Physically I get tired sooner than I used to do but I don't really feel any older than the 16 year old kids that I occassionally work with. The rest ... well I think it depends on how you view the activity that you are involved with but hey I've been known to be wrong lots of times before.

Unknown said...

I am of the same assumption. By the way, old friend, I'm glad to see you blogging again. Does that go along with the busyness that life brings? I still feel as young as my 14 year old son, but I don't ever remember doing the crazy antics that he is currently doing. I know, we did our share of crazy things back then, but, I don't think we ever got into the trouble that he gets himself into. I'm ready for life to start calming down. I'm tired of the stress and the busyness that I've encountered over the last several weeks. It has been a price to pay for starting a new life with the love of my life, but, when all is said and done, I'm ready to have some normalcy.

aboynamedjimmy said...

I've decided we don't ever change. The world around us does.

Mike said...

(pulling erasers from his nose) Um, Winter, I'm not sure anything changes! ;-)

Morgan2112 said...

I like to think, at times, that wisdom is knowing when it is OK to do something stupid vs. when it isn't OK.

For the most part... I do feel different than I did twenty years ago, for example. I know I think differently, feel differently, like differently, dislike differently... While at the same time, there are some things about me that I feel will never change.

If anything... I think it is our viewpoint in relation to a linear timeline that changes as we grow older.