Monday, January 22, 2007

Just Another Manic Monday

On the road to Bloomington this weekend I saw a red-tailed hawk perched on a speed limit sign on my side of the road. Hours later on the return trip I saw what appeared to be the same hawk again on my side of the road (roughly the same stretch of interstate). I guess I'm pre-scientific enough to take that as a good omen. At the very least it made me smile.

You Suck. No, not you personally. You Suck: A Love Story is the title of Chris Moore's latest novel, a sequel to Blood Sucking Fiends: A Love Story. No, I haven't read the new one yet, but Real Soon Now.

On the reading front, I'm waiting for my son to deliver book two of A Series of Unfortunate Events into my hand. I finished Moore's Coyote Blue (which just leaves Fluke and You Suck to read and I'll have read all of his novels!) I'm skimming a book on C# published by Microsoft Press (the first MS Press book I've ever read, I think), and I'm about two-thirds through the Blamires book.

I made another trip to the local used bookstore that's closing and picked up a few more items (yes, Dodo, a couple of them made it into your box!) One crazy thing I picked up was a book on assembly language for the Commodore 64. Good times, 8-bit computing. I'll probably never actually use the book, but the collector gene kicked in.

A friend tossed me the discs for the first two seasons of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Not a show I'd recommend to everyone, but it has its laugh outloud moments. Enough folks have talked to me about House that I'm feeling compelled to start renting the first season of it (and I suppose I should take the plunge and start watching Numb3rs).

Words are cool. We've talked in this blog circle about words before. I wonder why certain words appeal to certain people. For instance, I like the word "brimstone." I couldn't tell you why, and I doubt that it's a universally appealing word, but I like it.

Well, obviously I'm just rambling, so I'll let you get back to your lives. Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you had a great weekend, my friend. Bradley just finished book 3 of the Series of Unfortunate Events last night. Said it was the best one yet, and he is starting Book 4 today. It must be a great series for Bradley to pick reading over playing video games. As for the other books, I've never heard of them, but then again, since I started back into my nursing classes on Thursday, I haven't read much of anything except nursing books.

Happy reading, my friend.

Dying Dodo said...

Well, good I think, as long as there are NO math books in there. Don't get me wrong I like math and just don't enjoy reading it! ;-) Glad you were able to find some books that you like though. Speaking of reading Quinton read almost TWO books this weekend! For a child who would rather be playing video games a MAJOR accomplishment, so maybe there is hope for him yet.

Anonymous said...

You didn't say how you liked either Unfortunate Events or Coyote Blue. Verdict?

Dying Dodo said...

I've been watching House for a couple of seasons now and yes I think that you would enjoy it.

Heather said...

Yeah I like that word too... I enjoy Numb3rs and House when I have time to watch them...

Ramble away, why not, it's your blog :)

Mike said...

Lisa: A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 1 was ok, except I found one aspect of the narrative style tiring--"tiring" in this instance meaning to grow excessively weary of something through excessive repetition. Coyote Blue was great and I've been looking around for ways to get a hold of Coyote (or Loki or Ananse or whatever name the Trickster goes by in postmodern America)

All: Yeah, House is on my must-see list. Thanks for the affirmation.

Feather: Glad I'm not the only brimstone fan out there!

Anonymous said...

Right! That's actually the joke I made when we were discussing this before, forgetting that you hadn't read it yet. Just because a little is cool, doesn't mean a lot is better.