Friday, April 13, 2007

Some Books and Not Much Else

Stumbled across an unexpected treasure in our local public library: Cory Doctorow's short story collection Overclocked. I've read the first two stories, much geeky SF fun! "When Sysadmins Ruled the Earth" is such a great tale of apocalyptic woe that I'm still smiling. I'll probably re-read that story (after I finish the rest in the collection) at least once before I return it. Find and read already!

It appears Fate has opted to control my reading. My mentor and friend Dr. Castelein left a book for me to read (and I just finished Factoring Humanity, the previous book he lent me). This time a non-fiction work of techno-history called Masters of Deception. Looks good, but there's just not enough time to read EVERYTHING on my stack (I still have a copy of Eragon, loaned from a relative, staring guiltily at me. I refuse to rent the DVD before I read the book.)

Life is basically good. There's much weirdness (no, no tremors in the Force, nor any fevers, either) just weirdness. I find myself singing on the sidewalk more than usual (be thankful for your geographical remoteness from that particular experience.) I'm also sending a telepathic message to the resident of Logan County who has "The Maltese Falcon" checked out: RETURN IT!!! (please...)

I hope that you all have a wonderful Friday 13th and a great weekend! (I've got house cleaning and, likely, grading. Oh joy! The end of the semester approaches...)

3 comments:

Dying Dodo said...

Good luck with making it through your stack of reading materials. You really should read Eragon, I think that you'll like it.

Unknown said...

I've been doing a lot of reading, too. Mostly Nursing books to get ready for my first test, but I have managed to take a break from nursing and read the Work and the Glory series by Gerald Dunn, which is a fictional take on real live events of LDS history. I have just completed book two, and am beginning to read book three and am just really enjoying the series. So, if you are interested in these group of books (no, dear friend, I am not trying to convert. Gave up on that a LONG time ago), then these are a GREAT read. Happy reading.

The Legacy Foundation said...

Okay I'm the official slacker...because I rented the movie and haven't read the book yet. I loved the movie so I imagine the book is awesome. I am currently reading the diary of the woman of the movie Red Rose. Ellen Rimbaugh. I must admit the movie is better than the book when it comes to this one...

:) Glad to see that comment you made of singing while walking on the sidewalk...that made me laugh. I do that often. Music is going in my head most of the time. It's like an internal radio...can be quite annoying sometimes. :) Have a great week!