Thursday, November 09, 2006

Births and (Un)death

Today my daughter turns six and my biological father turns... hmmm, I have no idea. It's a killer gorgeous autumn day. I'm armed with a glass of iced earl grey and woke up early enough to begin rebuilding my desktop computer (hopefully I'll leave it be for a while and just use the thing instead of playing tinker gnome.) Thor's day, Arthur Dent might not have ever gotten them, but I find them marvelous enough!

Currently pretending to read: Habits of the High-tech Heart by Quentin Schultze (he was on campus last week, a really nice and really smart guy) and Luck, Logic, and White Lies by Jorg Bewersdorff (I originally thought this might be a biography about me, but it's really a book on the mathematics of games, which is probably the more interesting of the possibilities.)

Kender necromancers... can you imagine the kinds of items they could pull out of their pockets? Speaking of necromancers, last month Dragon magazine ran a story on the cult of Vecna. Is it worrisome when a neutral evil cult begins to make sense? Necromancy is the biotech of a fantasy world, and like our biotech, raises the question "just because we can do something, does that mean we should?"

3 comments:

Morgan2112 said...

Well... Given that necromancers tend to run in the Evil catagory, I guess it goes to the type of Evil.

If they are Lawful Evil, they will follow rules, which may mean they might not do some things...unless, of course, it provided an advantage.

If they are Chaotic Evil... Hell yeah they're going to do it if for no other reason than to see what happens.

If they are Neutral Evil... Who knows.

Mike said...

Yeah, but I'm thinking of how one could have a Good aligned necromancer (Neutrality is easy, selfish gits); after all, was Dr Frankenstein truly evil?

Morgan2112 said...

Well........ I guess this really depends upon which definition of good (or evil) is being applied.

Take good ole Doc F. For his time, society considered certain acts he committed to be evil; grave robbery was a prime example. Therefore, he by acts of commission adopted the moniker of Evil. Now, were the end results of his experiment intended by the good Doctor himself to be an act of evil? I doubt they were, at least in his mind. However, does the individual get to define what is truly good? …or what is truly evil? I don’t think so… Else, there are no standards of morality.

So… Given that I too share the common opinion that grave robbing is an act of Evil, I personally have to judge him (and his experiment) to be evil, as in, not for the common good.

Let’s jump into the 21st century for a moment, and into reality… Stem cell research… Good or Evil? My opinion… Stem cell research is good…when not conducted on matter obtained from an abortion…unless the abortion was performed as a medical necessity to preserve the health of the mother, or the mental health of the mother were the condition to be caused by rape or incest. But if the material is obtained via abortion as a means of birth control…then no, I will not support the use. Because as I see it, one method is Evil, but the other method can be considered to be Good.

So… Could we have a LG or CG Kender Necromancer? I would have to say yes, given that the work performed falls within a stringent, moral directive. Else… Back to the Abyss with ye…!!!