Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Fruit of My Aging

The older I get the more I come to believe that:

  • I don't know hardly anything
  • grace is the most valuable "thing" there is
  • I am no better than the worst criminal
  • no one will ever know how old the universe is
  • loneliness sucks
  • life is difficult, and there aren't always ways to "fix" the difficulties
  • there is a real universe out there, even if we only know it through the interface of our individual thoughts, feelings, and sensations
  • there's too much to read (even if no one ever wrote another word again)
  • there's too much noise (in the world and in my soul)
  • pencil and paper bring a type of happiness that I can't get with a computer
  • much of what I believe may well be wrong

5 comments:

Dying Dodo said...

Maybe we do get *wiser* as we get older. ;-)

LittlestPenguin said...

You know, there's a place where I came to be at peace with the possibility of being wrong. Its kind of liberating actually. :)

Unknown said...

Everything you have spoken of is so true. Amazing the things we come to learn, love, and appreciate as we get older.

Heather said...

Nice post and I completely empathize with the not being able to fix things... been something I've tried to learn since I was 12 or so...

Susan said...

I agree wholeheartedly with many of those thoughts...thanks for sharing...