Monday, March 12, 2007

Exhibit B: A Lame Post

Too long without anything, so we'll do a little update...

My ex-wife got the job south of here. Her first day is March 26, and she's moving the weekend of the 17th. I'll have the kids through the week starting March 19 and going through their last day of school on June 4. She's planning on having them during the weekends during this time. After that, she's thinking we go back to me getting them every other weekend (and, because of distance, obviously not seeing them during the week. That'll suck!)

Elsewise, life goes good. Medication still keeps me sane, I still have a job, and I'm enjoying the (relative) warmth of spring's pre-dawning. Reading's been kind of crazy: some Bart Ehrman and a re-read of Dragonlance Chronicles (don't roll your eyes, Lisa! I'm still trying to get into the Francis Collins book, but he's not as much fun as Richard Dawkins).

The existential question of the nanosecond is "have I grown up or am I still wondering what I'm going to be when I grow up?" Some of you are young enough that the question is fair for you to ponder, but I'm forty (in a few months) and I probably should be looking at life as "well, this is it" rather than a "gee, what do I want to do now?" I get too curmudgeonly lately, and too resigned. I don't want to be a dwarf! A kender, sure. An elf, that would rock. A black robe mage, without a doubt. But a surly dwarf... just feed me to the dragons already.

Oh well, maybe spring will help with some of this! Anyway, this is, for what it's worth, a post.

9 comments:

Michael said...

I'll skip commenting on the ex-wife moving thing--I don't think I can say much that would make you feel any better.

I love the Dragonlance Chronicles! An excellent choice for a re-read. I used to always have to re-read because the stuff I liked never came out fast enough. Now I have a pile of at least 20 books at home that I haven't read yet. Damn grad school and work.

I've been asking myself this "have I grown up?" question lately. I figured since I'm 26 and, I feel, past the I'm-legally-an-adult-but-the-rest-of-the-adults-don't-think-I-really-am-yet stage, but I keep thinking "when will that magical moment happen where I feel mature and adult?" Maybe it isn't going to happen. Perhaps my parents have been promoting this massive ruse, convincing me that they think they know what they're doing, when they're still in a process of discovery too. It really is an intriguing question--IS there a "grown up" state of mind?

Why are you hating on dwarves?? I kind of have a thing for dwarves. They're allowed to have explosive tempers and wield axes or hammers that can slice or pulp just about anything. Though, I'm ADD enough for being kender to definitely appeal. :-)

Mike said...

I was always elf enough that I had the natural antipathy towards dwarves. The older I got, the more I liked dwarves (and, as I got older, I began to look less elf-like and more middle-aged human!) I have a soft spot for the gnomes as well. But, black-robed kender would be my dream Dragonlance character.

Dying Dodo said...

Well since I have only read the one Dragonlance book I have no preference for characters yet. Kender seems to fit you pretty well though I think that elf is still a bit applicable. Don't see Dwarf yet, maybe if you keep trying.

Michael: Don't know you well enough to pick a character for you so whatever you want to be, I say go for it. ;-)

Morgan2112 said...

I just got through with a re-read of Chronicles about a month ago. I'm wanting to re-read Legends but I can't find the first book at the moment.

As for the question of growing up, I was just discussing that the other evening. All I can say for sure is that I've grown older. I'm still not sure about the rest yet... I'm starting to wonder if I ever will know for sure.

As for the ex... Well... Some thoughts there should never be a written record of, so I'll be good. However, I'd suggest getting a legal opinion on the matter... Quickly...

Mike said...

Morgan, you were born a grown-up!

Mike said...

Good advice, Season. Maybe *someday* I'll know what it is I want to do...

Unknown said...

Morgan and I have introduced our oldest son to the Dragonlance Chronicles-got him the first trilogy for Christmas, and he is loving them. Can honestly say that he is not devouring them as quickly as Morgan, but he is enjoying them. And I have to agree with you, slacker, about my husband being born a grown up. I think he was 16 going on 40 when we started dating, but his age has finally caught up with him and he is finally enjoying life. I guess that is why we balance each other out so well and keep each other grounded. I also agree with Morgan about the legal thing. You need to act quickly.

Heather said...

Slacker, do you possibly already know and are too afraid to do what it is you'd like to be doing?

If we all looked hard enough don't you think we'd see what it was we were passionate about, that one thing that just yells "HEY, I'M RIGHT SMACK IN FRONT OF YOU'" It's all a matter of letting go of our inhibitions that it would fail and moving forward.

Don't think those things that we want to be when we "grow up" don't change either, sometimes they "morph" into something else... related, unrelated--who knows... 'cept God and he's not tellin' all... elsewise(to borrow a word) we might flip out.

Anonymous said...

Hmm. We grew up? When did we do that? You have kids, I have kids, we all have kids. Doesn't mean we have to be adults all the time. I still pine for an all nighter in my parents basement with my favorite DM and all my buddies rollin some dice. Anyone up for a game? I have some schnapps. And I miss you all terribly!
As for the legal part - I agree with Morgan and Mormon Girl.