Friday, March 02, 2007

The Law of Fives

If you've read the Illuminatus Trilogy, then you're familiar with the Law of Fives. Basically, while many numbers comes up in life, five comes up more often than others.

As an example, take my previous post about the spelling bee. My fifth grade son was sitting in the fifth seat on stage. There were 5 rows of seats between where I was sitting and the stage. My son missed his word on the fifth letter. The date of the bee was the 27th (the difference between the digits of 27 being 5), but originally was scheduled for the 14th (1+4=5). Finally, even the phrase "spelling bee" has a letter differential of 5 (8 letters in "spelling" 3 letters in "bee").

Oh, and I just noticed that today is 3/2!

fnord

8 comments:

Morgan2112 said...

Yeah... YEAH... YEAH!!! And, and, and... If you take the first letter of your full name - MJR - and you count each letters position in the alphabet... Let's see... M is 13, J is 10, R is 18... And 18+10+13=41... And 4+1... IT's FIVE!!!! DUDE!! Who needs John Nash!?!?

Mike said...

exactly... Nash was foremost in my mind while writing this post!

Dying Dodo said...

What an amazing coincidence.

Unknown said...

Isn't it great how well the two of you can count. Not bad coming from a small school district in southeastern Illinois. Mr. Lionberger would be proud of you both.

Anonymous said...

Hate to crash your vibe here by adding a sixth comment. But I thought if Morgan put his mind to it, he could *probably* use his system to prove you are the antichrist.

Mike said...

no, I already told students in class last week that George Barna was the antichrist (I took some flack for that as well!)

Morgan2112 said...

MG... Actually, Mr. Weaver might get more credit for that type of mathematical thinking coming from me than anyone.

Lisa... Not my system. I just ran with it in a moment of boredom, but now that you have me thinking about it...

Slacker, maybe we should ask the Barna Group to conduct a poll for us on the subject of the antichrist...?

Anonymous said...

When I was in high school, the pastor of my church jokingly used the phone number of a member of the congregation to prove he was the antichrist as a sermon illustration. Wonder if that's why the guy stopped coming to that church......