Monday, August 13, 2007

Stardust and Other Quick Tidbits

Stardust the movie was different from Stardust the novel. Usually, that means the movie was bad ("I can't believe how they ruined such a great book!"). In the case of Stardust, however, we have a great movie loosely based on a great book, and they both are very good for what they are!

In other movie news, the collector's edition of Serenity is coming out this month. Bloody marketing departments...

Bookwise, William Gibson has released Spook Country, so I need to get my name on the public library list asap. Gibson's 1984 debut novel Neuromancer won three major science fiction awards (as well as introducing the word "cyberspace" into the English language). While there was cyberpunk fiction before Neuromancer (both actual cyberpunk like Rudy Rucker's Software, as well as proto-cyberpunk, like John Brunner's Shockwave Rider), Neuromancer provides a highly visible successful starting point for framing the cyberpunk movement (Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash is, arguably, the last great cyberpunk novel. It was published in 1992).

Elsewise, the remodeling nightmare continues to become more and more Freddy Krueger-like. I'm still emphatically hopeful that come Halloween, we'll have a Very Pretty library... otherwise, I hope the library slashes me sooner rather than later. Well, it's not really as bad as all that (but some moments it feels that it is ;-)

White Wolf's Changeling the Lost is due out this week. The first version of Changeling was (as I've mentioned before) my favorite rpg that I never played. However, I've heard very bad things about White Wolf's reboot of their World of Darkness, so I will admit to being a bit afraid of what Changeling will look like this go-round.

Oh, and speaking of gaming, another bit of my childhood dies. As of issue 359, Wizards of the Coast has decided to end the publication of Dragon magazine. In my early days of pre-Internet gaming, Dragon is what connected me to the wider world of D&D. While I know monthly dead-tree pulps are no longer the primary source of news for hip young wired gamers, I will confess to having felt a bit of sadness at the news. Call me a dinosaur if you will (and "velociraptor" if you please), but I still like flipping through magazines.

Well, beyond my old man's aches and pains, I got nothing more, so... later, gang!

4 comments:

Dying Dodo said...

Yeah, I liked the movie too. Maybe I should give the book a try.

LittlestPenguin said...

I want to go see that one. Thanks for the good recommendation. The artist who did the book illustrations actually lives in Abingdon, which is close enough to call him a "local talent."

LittlestPenguin said...

Oh, also. Have you heard they've made the official announcement that Fourth Edition will be hitting the shelves in about a year?

mormongirl said...

Never heard of the book or the movie, but I will definitely take your word for it. I've definitely done my fair share of reading, but nothing to really report. I definitely wasn't disappointed in the new Harry Potter book. It was a fantastic way to end the series.