Thursday, May 01, 2008

Nobody to Believe In (in This World)

I’m more or less disgusted. Obama has all but given the Democrat nomination to Clinton. It’s not that I’m a huge Obama fan, but given the choice between the two, I’d choose him in a heartbeat.

Or so I thought. After watching how he’s been handling the whole Reverend Wright fiasco, I am less than underwhelmed. And this is just a bit of a social scandal with his preacher. How would the man handle an actual emergency? (You know, like, oh let’s say, a war with Iraq).

So, Bill gets to be the first First Husband. Well, I can appreciate irony as much as the next guy, but, sheesh, was Martha Washington this much of a mess? I don’t seem to remember any stories about her that I’d be embarrassed to tell my kids. Obviously there will have to be some ground rules. You know, no First Husband giving tours of the Oval Office and such. Love or hate Hilary, she comes with Bill, and that may be reason enough to pass.

There’s always McCain.

Um, yeah, right.

Ralph Nader? Harry Browne? Don’t I wish we lived in a nation free enough that candidates like these had a chance? Where is the Great Winged Monkey of Presidential Debates, that wily bazillionaire Ross Perot? Poor Al Gore. All things considered, this could’ve been his year, what with winning the No-bull Prize for Chicken Little Ecology and all. Before you smell blood and attack, I am not denying global warming. I’m just not yet convinced that things are as dire as the prophets are foretelling. Color me skeptical, or at least a contrarian, or, if you must, color me completely stupid. And if the Earth begins to burn before the sun goes nova, then let me state upfront that I was wrong. Sorry.

Where does that leave me, as a voter, come Election Day? Where it has every election since I turned 18: in a booth without a candidate.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you. McCain: Have you seen his spending plan? Does he even know there's a budget for education or energy reform? Obama: Well, he voted against the "Born Alive Infant Protection Act." If that doesn't make you uncomfortable, what would? Hilary: I don't even need to go into it.

Maybe I'll write someone in.

Heather said...

I hate politics... Bill was in my city, little nothing city... good ole county seat status..., and for over a month we've had an obama guy straight from Ill. here and by here, I mean in my library!... gag me now... please...

Heather said...

hah I read your post afterwards lisa,... my coworker said she was going to write in a better candidate than all three... quoth she "maybe goofy"