Thursday, December 07, 2006

Gum-on-My-Shoe During a Dark and Stormy Night

The Laffing Dragon was more or less empty. A couple of regulars bickering about politics and sports. One of Larry's girls working a couple of school boys who had wandered into the armpit of town. A local artist sitting at a corner table with his face in a plate of Al-Kazak's teriyaki potatoes (whether he was passed out again or just practicing his "performance art" was beyond my ken.) I was thirsty, like a dying lizard on the not-so-dark side of the moon, and so I made my way to where that rat-faced ex-mage Kaz poured the best Irish coffee this side of Amber. That's when I first saw her.

She was sitting at the bar, slightly slouched over an untouched drink, an angel meditating on the holy grail. As I slipped onto the stool next to her, I smelled the cheap vodka in the glass and more than a hint of ammonia (whether from the angel or the bar, I couldn't tell, and at that point, I didn't really care.) I noticed that she was picking her teeth with a straightened-out paper clip. She was a looker alright, from her shoulder-length greasy pink hair (with that wild, beckoning stripe of purple over her left ear) to her mud-caked Army boots (artificial dirt on designer-label ankle huggers, I have an eye for exotic footwear.) The smeared theatrical blood that framed her own deep brown cave-like eyes complimented the red fur-lined tank top she wore over her slight torso. Her spindly legs were covered in cream-colored thermal underwear, at least two sizes too big, and artfully ripped at the knees and calves. Over these she wore a red and white checkered tablecloth (Pizza Hut, unless I was mistaken), tied at her waist with a severed length of orange extension cord (the grounded plug hanging tantalizingly over her left knee.) Oh yeah, she was all that and more. Everything I had never realized I was looking for in a woman. The instant she turned toward me and our eyes met, I knew my heart was destined to be broken, even before she opened her mouth and began screaming.

6 comments:

Morgan2112 said...

Slacker... HOW many times have I TOLD you... Stay AWAY from the SWILL!!!

Dying Dodo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dying Dodo said...

Sometimes the things come from your brain are rather frightning. Have you been sleeping lately? Sleep deprivation would explain alot! ;-)

Mike said...

Winter: Nope. These scenes grab my head and beat their way out through my fingers... and then they're gone (thankfully!)

Morgan: Swill is all I can afford these days. I do accept donations for the Slacker Emergency Jameson's Fund.

Dodo: Plenty of sleep. I think the visions come from riding the loa as a kid (or maybe it's too much Dr. Pepper ;-)

Unknown said...

Your imagination is as vibrant as ever. Thought about publishing some of these thoughts going through that head of yours?

Mike said...

Mormon Girl: I don't know what "vibrant" means in this context, but this *is* publishing (and see my comments to Lady Winter for a hint as to why I'll never be able to publish in a more conventional format... ;-)