Wednesday, February 07, 2007

"Calling Dr. Bombay"

Nothing here but a quick check-in (remember back when I blogged daily, and the entries were full of creativity and wit... or maybe nostalgia makes things look sweeter than they really were; let's just pretend that's how it was, ok?)

A former student worker dropped off the first two seasons of House, so I can finally begin watching this show that everybody keeps telling me I'll love...

My son won the school spelling bee today. Next week, on Valentine's Day, I'll be going to watch him at the county spelling bee. I felt so glad for the little geek when the entire school was applauding for him today! The winning word was refugee.

Speaking of Valentine's Day, I'm not. So there! I wish all of you love and all that other crap, but I'll keep working on my first draft of Celibacy for Dummies.

Bookwise, the stack at hand (not to be confused with the books at home with slips of paper marking my spastic progress) consists of Finding Darwin's God: A Scientist's Search for the Common Ground Between God and Evolution (Kenneth Miller), Mythical Trickster Figures: Contours, Contexts, and Criticisms (ed. Wm. Hynes and Wm. Doty), and Ubuntu Linux for Non-Geeks: A Pain-Free, Project-Based, Get-Things-Done Guidebook (Rickford Grant). OK, I actually am a geek, and a committed Slackware user, but the book looked like a fun browse, so I've borrowed it from Governor's State University (interlibrary loan has to rate as one the greatest human inventions of all time!)

In the name of health, I'm attempting to consume some water each day (any amount would be, literally, infintely more than I typically drink). I also worked in a walk last weekend. This was the first time in too long, and it was bloody cold! Still I felt better at the end of that day than I do most days, so there must be something to it.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around something that I can fire off an ill-tempered rant against. Until then, here's a nice British version of the PC versus Mac debate. The comments are worth reading if, like me, you love pointless religious debates. Yeah, Brits are so much more civilized than us colonial rebels.

8 comments:

Mike said...

Wes is so cool!

Dying Dodo said...

Congrats on the spelling bee and Valentines day?, just another day! Nothing special about it!

Anonymous said...

Valentine's Day: I'm arriving at my friend's house at 6:15 AM to pick up her three children before her husband goes to work and watch them all day while she is on a weeklong cruise. (And somewhere in there I pick up my son from the Valentine's party which I also have to bake cupcakes for, and take him home, which--yes, you've done the math correctly--brings the total to 5 children.) My husband, at some point, may or may not come home. Why don't they make that into one of those diamond commercials? :)

Mike said...

Because I suspect that if the husband walked into that scene with a diamond, the wife would say "forget the diamond, give me the car keys. See ya!"

Unknown said...

Valentine's Day is a special day to think back and reminisce. Valentine's Day, 1984, was the first time my husband and I were alone in a car together, which, if my memory serves me correctly, he was a perfect gentleman. My parent's got mad at me because I rode home from school in a car with a boy. I was 14. Wow. That is the same age as my son is now. He will be 15 the end of February. I look at him and think wow, and I was married at 15.

As for the spelling bee, congrats, my friend. Good luck at the county spelling bee. Spelling isn't just for geeks, Slacker.

Anonymous said...

Hehe. Probably. But maybe he would shout at the children and they would scatter like all those pigeons on the commercial, and then Valentine's Day would be a special day indeed. :)

Morgan2112 said...

I personally have a BFG 9000 waiting for Cupid... I'm hoping for a nice, painful, shot... :)

As for House... I've found it one of a very few programs on T.V. that I actually will take time to try and watch. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Change of plans. Instead of the aforementioned, horrible-sounding plan, I have now substituted this plan: One very large blizzard. Two small boys with viral influenza who have not left the house since Thursday (and neither have I). One husband who actually put a Plymouth Breeze through a 4 1/2 foot drift in order to get away from house today (and who can blame him). Sound better? No, I guess not....